Who would not be delighted to get a good massage from a partner, or a professional, after an exhausting day, a long hike or a full-day trip? Anyhow, a massage just always fits well. However, we should be careful not to harm ourselves more with the wrong type of massage. So, what should you consider when choosing a massage and what to look out for? Here are a couple of insights and advice to help you get to know which massage is right for you, considering the two most important criteria: your health and what particularly is hurting (if anything is hurting you at all).
A well-known reason why people decide to look for a masseur is a strain. If this unpleasant complication occurs, book yourself for a Breuss massage – this is a subtle technique and is therefore very suitable for the repair or loosening of stiff muscles, or even if you suffer from degenerative disc disease. In addition to gentle strokes, it is also complemented by the application of the St John wort oil which is massaged, the disc sucks it in and again begins to function – suspending the spine and protecting the nerves. Easily said – your spine won’t be prickling nor tingling anymore.
- When is it ok: inflammation of the sciatic nerve, sudden abrupt pain in the lower back, degenerated intervertebral discs, sciatica, cervical syndrome (problems with the cervical spine), nocturnal pain and paresthesia (unpleasant subjective sensations in muscles and bones), pain in the arms and shoulders, headaches, migraines, ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- When is it NOT ok: acute disease conditions, haemophilia, acute inflammatory conditions, malignant skin tumors, skin damage, fungal diseases, severe osteoporosis, fresh injuries and post-surgery condition, fractures of vertebrae and pelvis (massage is suitable only after recovery), birthmarks and warts that could hinder massaging movements
Traditional Thai massage is a deep massage that focuses on the treatment of the whole body – from head to toe. These are among the most popular and (fortunately) most accessible types of massages. You can find it in the hotels´ offers or massage studios. It has gained its popularity through a combination of energy and physical aspects that help with pain, but people get this massage even when they do not have specific issues. They simply want to bring about their inner harmony.
- When is it ok: Detoxification of the organism, strengthening the immune system, improving blood circulation, releasing muscle tension, improving proper posture, back pain, chronic joint diseases, reduction of stress and anxiety, increase in internal energy levels.
- When is it NOT ok: high degree of osteoporosis, very fragile bones, varicose veins, fresh post-accident conditions, fevers and infectious inflammatory diseases, infectious or inflammatory skin diseases, epilepsy, during breast-feeding and menstruation.
3. Lava stone massage
If you would like to try something else, something new, something where not only the masseur´s hands are put into work, get a lava stone massage. The warmth, that our body absorbs from the flat stones, acts beneficial – relieves stress and anxiety, helps to relieve tight muscles, regenerates damaged soft tissue, starts off the process of washing away the unwanted toxins from your body and even manages to defeat insomnia. Dark flat stones are not put just anywhere but on specific routes, the so-called meridians, the path through which the life-energy flows in our body, i.e. for example, on the feet, nape, fingertips or neck.
- When is it ok: if you suffer from fibromyalgia (People suffering from chronic muscle pain sleep longer after 30 minutes of a massage. They have fewer trigger points and the level of the P substance, involved in the transmission of pain signals, is reduced), rheumatoid arthritis, insomnia, rheumatism, problems of the circulatory system, anxiety, stress and tension relief, back pain and multiple sclerosis
- When is it NOT ok: If you take medicines to thin your blood, if you have burns on your skin, open wounds, if you have suffered from blood clots, if you have had a surgery in the last six months, if you have a fracture or a severe clot, if you have low platelet counts, high blood pressure, diabetes and during pregnancy
There are several different types of massages, different modifications to the basic techniques, but in all the two rules apply. Always check the qualification of the masseur and discuss the suitability of your chosen massage according to your problems or illnesses. Travelers and nature lovers will appreciate a massage on the healthy mountain air. Why not go, for example, to the Tatras for quality treatments? 🙂
Tip: Many hotels or guesthouses offer wellness and massage treatments. You will ensure the best prices if you use loyalty programs that some accommodations offer. We encourage you to draw attention to the hotel Go pass system, which allows you to collect points and enjoy the benefits of many hotels not only in Slovakia but also in the Czech Republic.
If you are interested in the topic, we recommend you to check our nice infographics about best spa and massages in High and Low Tatras. Are we going to inspire you for the next relax trip?